Tuesday, May 01, 2007

freakonomics

this book really opens up my mind!
Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner.
Mr Levitt is really a genuine in challenging conventional wisdom.

It reminds me of my younger days - i was innocent and believe easily what was said in the newspaper and all other media.. i've learned not to believe what i hear and see.. not even my heart, sometimes. ;P

Freakonomics makes me think, helps me think and certainly expand my mind.. from questions on which is more dangerous - guns or swimming pool, and from crimes to mothers.. Mr Levitt will definitely have fans but he will also have many critics. That's life i guess. In many ways, i can identify with all that. Coz i've been questioning things all my life. But he used a so-called economics approach to answering those questions.

Lastly, i used to think the subject of economics is only about the pure finance side of things that drives the economy.. On the contrary, it actually studies things that impact people's lives! And attempts to answer why..

From Wikipedia:
Economics is the study of how to satisfy unlimited wants with limited resources. It is the social science that studies the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services, and the theory and management of the scarce goods, resources, and services.

The word 'economics' is from the Greek for οἶκος (oikos: house) and νόμος (nomos: custom or law), hence "rules of the house(hold)."

No comments: